Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A weekend with the N800

I did it! I went from Thursday to Monday without actually using my laptop while I was away from home. I have to say the N800 wasn't a perfect substitute but it was pretty handy. Here's a few things that caused me problems over the long weekend:


Rebooting on Startup: For some reason it would reboot automatically after being on for about 2 minutes. I'd have a few seconds where I could open a browser or try tell it to connect to the Internet via my phone and then Boom!!! It would just freeze and reboot. On Saturday it did this 6 or 7 times before it stopped and finally settled down. After that I left the car charger plugged in and left it on.


I thought this whole reboot problem was related to not being able to get on a network but when I got home I tried booting it up with the same results, freezing after start up and then reboot. I can't seem to find any correlation. It does it with the bluetooth keyboard on or off. It does it when you have a network connection or not. The best thing to do seems to be to let it just boot up and sit there for a few minutes. Then it will work.


Opera and Ebay: So ebay is trying to make more of it's web site Web 2.0 friendly. Only problem is that many of their enhancements don't work so well with Opera. One in particular is the drop down box under the action column. It's supposed to give you a list of options that you want to both for items you are buying and selling. In fact it's the only way to end an auction early. But when you click on the drop down it just shows you a blank box. That's a problem. Luckily I also installed Minimo so I just logged in using Minimo when I needed to do things that required use of the drop down boxes.

Wrong memory card for my camera: Unfortunately my camera uses the older, very outdated Smart Media cards so I couldn't view the pictures I took. This really isn't a problem with the N800 it just means it's time to get an updated camera uses MMC cards.

Well that about sums it up. While writing this entry I've been trying to turn on my N800. It just keeps rebooting after 2 minutes. I can get into it remotely via ssh and top reports jffs2_gcd_mtd4 as the highest usage program so maybe it's time to figure out what that is and what it's doing to cause my problems.

BTW: The Stoaway BT keyboard works great on my lap!

No comments: